Well we did it - we turned ONE! So we thought what better way to celebrate than to share a cake with you, if only we could actually share it! But honestly, thank-you for joining us - in whatever way that has been, without you, we’d just be an empty page!
For our first birthday I brought back a favourite of mine but with a zesty lemon-y twist!
It’s our Lemon Coconut Cake with Lemon Icing! Like Lemon Slice - but cake, what could be better?!
Lemon Coconut Cake
125 grams of butter, softened
250 grams of sour cream
3/4 cups of caster sugar
1 tsp of vanilla extract
3/4 desiccated coconut
1 1/2 self raising flour
2 lemon zest
1/4 cup of lemon juice
1/3 cup of milk
1 tablespoon of softened butter
Juice of 2 lemons (smallish)
2 cups of icing sugar
1-2 tablespoons of milk, if needed
1. Preheat oven to 160C
2. Beat softened butter, sugar and vanilla until pale
3. Add sour cream and eggs and continue to beats through until smooth
4. Add coconuts down self raising flour, mix through
5. Add lemon zest, lemon and milk until consistency is even
6. Line cake tin and add baking paper
7. Pour in mixture, bake for approximately 45 mins or until skewers comes clean
8. Allow to cool in pan for 10 mins then transfer to a wire rack to allow cooling for icing
9. Whisk softened butter and lemon juice together, add icing sugar gradually, forming a smooth consistency, continue to add icing sugar as needed
10. You may need to add 1-2 tablespoons of milk to improve the consistency, but if your lemons provided you with enough juice you may not.
11. Sprinkle with lemon zest and desiccated coconut