Cardamom and Orange Cake with Honey Cream
Two years a go we launched Abilene into the world - so naturally we are celebrating with cake! When Joel, my husband, and I met he didn’t eat cake (needless to say that has changed!) and in Joel’s words, this may be the best cake he has ever eaten - but rather than us just saying so, we’ll let you be the judge!
Orange and Cardamom Cake with Honey Cream
125g of butter, softened
1 cup of Greek yoghurt, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 small - medium oranges, zested and juiced
2 tsp cardamom
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup almond meal
1 1/2 cup self raising flour
150ml of thickened cream
2 tbsp of honey
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees for a fan forced oven
2. Whisk butter, Greek yoghurt (if it hasn’t had time to reach room temperature you may want to add it last so it doesn’t harden the butter), eggs, milk and vanilla together.
3. Add the rest of the dry ingredients (cardamom, cinnamon, almond meal and self raising flour), followed by the Orange zest and juice. Stir all ingredients together well.
4. Pour mixture into a lined 25cm baking tin and bake for approximately 50 mins.
5. While the cake is baking whisk 150ml of cream until thickened but not peaking, add the 2 tbsp of honey to the cream and continue to whisk until soft peaks form.
6. Remove the cake from the oven when the centre is cooked through - allow to stand for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. When cake has cooled slightly serve with the honey cream and enjoy!
Please let us know if you try this cake!