Growing up, when my Dad made a dessert, it was this one, caramel bananas. Traditionally, we used brown sugar, cream, and butter to make it. I love modern-day cooking because we have so much more access to healthier ways of making our favorite food - so this time, we've ditched the brown sugar in favor of dates, and the result was still a crowd pleaser. And look, we still served it with ice cream, haha.
3 mejool dates
3 tbsp of Maple Syrup
1 tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 - 3 bananas, sliced
Pinch of salt
Ice cream to serve
1. Dice the mejool dates
2. Place a frypan on a low heat and add the butter, allow it melt, add the diced dates in and gently press into the butter creating a kind of paste.
3. Add your maple syrup and vanilla continuing to stir the dates through.
4. As the mixture starts to become glossy slowly add the cream, making sure it’s blending and becoming nice and golden - continue this until all the cream is finished.
5. Allow the sauce to come to a simmer for a minute then add your sliced banana to your caramel sauce.
6. Serve with ice cream and enjoy!
N.B. This would also be great paired back with pancakes and if you don’t love bananas would go great with poached apples or pears.